Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Crisis!

I learned a new word today. Destapador. It means plunger. I learned this word through experience, which turns out to be a good thing because it isn't in the dictionary. It's not even in the online dictionary. That is why I was overjoyed when our toilet got clogged and water started backing up in our bathtub and sink. Had this not happened, I probably never would have learned the word destapador.

Of course it all happened right as Jeff was on his way out the door for work. I needed my sisters with me to fully understand my terror. You see, I have this secret (now not-so-secret) fear of talking on the phone and talking to people if I think they will be mad at me. I mention both because they both give me the same reaction in my gut. My sisters understand. I also have a habit of blowing things out of proportion. I was sure that if we told our landlady that our pipes were plugged, she would immediately evict us and it would cost us thousands of dollars to redo all of the plumbing in the whole house. So I fretted and paced, dumped drano down the pipes, fretted and paced some more. Finally after an embarrasingly long time, I went downstairs and confessed to the housekeeper (in broken spanish) that the water wasn't going down in our bathroom. She found me a destapador and I plunged the toilet. Kind of an anticlimactic end to a story, huh?

3 comments:

Michelle said...

I'm feeling just a little bitter that you've been teasing me about my phone-phobia for years, and now I find out you have the same thing :)

Hey, at least it wasn't giant flying ants this time...

Charlo said...

Let me get this strait... so you dumped draino down a drain that was pushing water out instead of in? You do realize that for the draino to work it must actually come into contact with the clog, right?

Courtney Lee said...

I have the same fear!!! Derek gets annoyed at me sometimes when I don't want to call the pizza guy but he just doesn't understand. I'm glad someone in this family, now two people, have the same fear!