Monday, May 7, 2007

Our Roommate


Well, it looks like I finally took a picture that was small enough to load. Let me introduce you all to our roommate Hormiga. He moved into our kitchen a few weeks ago. At first he was a nuisance. He would invite all his friends over late at night, throw parties in our utensil drawer and always eat our food without asking. One night (when he was throwing said party in our utensil drawer) I lost all control and in a violent rage killed him and all his friends.
It was then that we discovered Hormiga's amazing ability. Not a day later I entered the kitchen and who was crawling on our counter? Hormiga! It turns out that Hormiga never dies. No matter how many times I kill him, he always comes back ... as long as he thinks there's food involved. Now that I've discovered this talent, I use him as a kitchen cleanliness-o-meter. Everytime Hormiga comes back, I know that I missed a spot.

3 comments:

Chris said...

The one thing about a friend like Hormiga is that she likes to invite her other friends to play in your house as well. Hormiga came to my house in Rincon, Argentina, one summer. We didn't invite her, so we decided to kick her out by bombing the house. We set up the bomb and left the house. When we returned later that night, we found an inch of dead hormigas covering every surface of the house. It appears that Hormiga had invited her million best friends to a rooftop party, and we crashed that party without our raid.

The moral of the story: Before you throw a party, get permission from your neighbors below you. And make sure you never provide Hormiga a invitation to come on over -- especially in Latin America where the most appropriate way to invite a friend over is by providing a delicious treat...alfajores, flan, dulce de leche, etc.

calowyn said...

Funny you mention alfajores. This is one of the foods that Hormiga ate without asking. This morning Hormiga also let her friends in on a little secret- where we keep the peanut butter. This morning we had to do a mass bleach drowning.

It turns out that we also had attack of the cucarachas last night. Luckily, this happened fuera de la casa. When I went to class there were some huge cucarachas laying dead all over the driveway.

Needless to say, I'm getting more and more excited to return home!

(By the way, it never occurred to me that Hormiga was a girl. For the sake of continuity I have preserved the gender you assigned her for this post).

Chris said...

Me gustan muchisimo los alfajores. Pero a mi no me gustan las cucarachas.

(I assumed Hormiga is a girl, otherwise her parents would have named him Hormigo, right?)