Sunday, March 4, 2007

Viva el Peru!


The view from our living room window



The most important room in the apartment


Our bedroom


Our kitchen


Our living room

Hi everyone. We are finally settled in Lima, so as promised we are updating the blog and sending pictures of our apartment.

We arrived in Lima at about 1:30 a.m. on Friday. Well, I guess it was actually Saturday. Our flight was delayed leaving Atlanta, but other than that everything went pretty smoothly. We stayed at a hotel Friday night, then moved into our apartment on Saturday morning. It's very yellow and has mirrors on almost every wall, but it is nice and will suit our needs. We have no oven and the fridge only gets to 50 degrees farenheit - totally unacceptable for a food safety expert such as myself. Luckily I brought my kitchen thermometer so I could test it. So until we can get that fixed we'll have to put everything on ice to keep it at a nice, safe 38 degrees.

Yesterday we went out to eat with Lyra, the foreign service officer Jeff will be working with, and her fiancee Landry, who is also in the foreign service. They are both very nice and it sounds like Jeff will have a great experience over the next 10 weeks. Jeff will be working in the fraud prevention department. He will be investigating any suspicious claims or documents that people give along with applications for visas or immigration.

Today we went to church and made some new friends. There were a few other norteamericanos there. One man is from Canada and his wife is from Peru. They spend 6 months of the year in each place. There is another couple named the Walkers who have been here while the husband does research for the past 7 months. They are going away for the rest of the time that we will be here, but they got us in touch with a group of other americans that get together frequently. I was lucky to meet a wonderful woman named Laura who translated the Relief Society lesson for me. She also gave me my first church assignment. Actually my first two assignments. She was asked to sing in church next week and I am going to accompany her on the piano. Tonight is the stake choir and I will also be playing for that while I am here. She is a music teacher for 3rd grade students and is one of the only highly musical people around, so I guess she was excited to find another piano player.

I made a spanish sentence today as Jeff was finishing off the 2nd 1.5 L bottle of Diet Coke. Jefe toma demasiado Coca!

11 comments:

Michelle said...

Yay! I love that you have a blog! Keep us updated...

Chris Nukaya said...

Hi, I hope your having fun, what an adventure!

Katya said...

Hey, Jeff and Carolyn!

We hope you are loving Peru. We were looking at a world map the other day (it's our hobby) and we saw Lima, Peru and thought of y'all...(I have to practice my Texan). Carolyn, I simpathize with your food safety concerns, as a dietitian of course.
Just to let you know, we got that nutrition auditing job in Texas we were telling you about. It will be awesome! They pay for all of our expenses and we get paid well. PJ will be making $2.00 more than me!!! What good is a BS in Dietetics??
We hope you are doing well! We will be regulars on your blog to stay updated on your adventuras!

Love, PJ and Katya

P.S. Carolyn, PJ says "Jefe" means "boss" in Spanish ;)

Auntie M said...

Hi Carolyn: Thanks for checking in with WIC. I've forwarded your blog to everyone. Only a crazy dietitian would have brought along the thermometer. For those of us who are non-dietitans...IGNORANCE IS BLISS.

Ali Mae Johnson said...

Hey guys... sounds like you're having a blast... what a neat veiw! It almost looks like the pictures in that calendar you have. It must be quite a transition from Provo. Well, we miss you and think of you often. Choir just isn't the same without you, and we miss having musical friends so close by. At least music can be read in English and Spanish! Figures you get so involved at church right at the get go... We love you guys... make sure you keep this blog updated! It was a fantastic idea!

Judi Lee said...

I looked up your Spanish on Google Translater. Here's what came up:

"Head takes too much Cocaine !"

Either I need to take Spanish lessons, or someone's going to have to give me a better translation!

I didn't see any bugs on the walls of your apartment, so as long as that's the case, I'm sure it will be easy put up with the other minor inconveniences.

Charlo said...

I want a further explanation of the shower curtain, please.

Ms. Brant & Mr. Magness said...

So I tried to give my good old buddies one more call before you left to Peru but I got the old "In Peru" message but lord knows I have heard it all before.

I am always so proud of you guys and am now waiting for the time when we can all hop into your new ford taurus and share memories of when we drove to Alpine at 2 am then just laugh and laugh and then hopefully discussing something else so there isn't an awkward silence.

Jeffe you know how proud I am and I hope you and Carolyn have a great time. Talk to you soon.

Niels and Susie Jensen said...

You guys never struck me as the blog type, but I am really happy about it! Keep posting the great pics. Your apt looks like an upgrade from Wymount and that is awesome. Just don't fall TOOO in love with Lime, you have to back by the 26th. Stay safe and good luck.

Niels and Susie Jensen said...

Do you know your address by the way?

Chelsea said...

Hey you guys! Very good idea to keep a blog! Sounds like you are going to have many adventures. And I have to say it ... but your apartment LOOKS bigger than Wymount apts! :) Good luck with everything ... we will be checking up on your blog often! And I'm so glad that you've found some American friends. Let us know once you decide where you are going to law school!
love, the Christensen

PS our blog is swellchelbelle.blogspot.com